Sunday, September 11

A Day We Will Always Remember


September 11, 2001.

Ask anyone what they were doing that day, and they will tell you immeadiately. The whole world will remember this day and the events they were taking part in when the news was given to them.

I was at River Valley High School. Tom Herring's mod to be exact. I was in good ol' CP English 09. Mr. Gorenflo came over the PA system and said he wanted the student-body and faculty to take part in a moment of silence for the victims of the terrorist attacks in Washington, D.C. and New York City. I can't even tell you what was going through my head. So many things just raced through. First of all, even though I heard there were terrorist attacks, I had no idea what landmarks were attacked and how it took place. I figured the World Trade Center was the target in NYC, though, and I knew Osama bin Laden and al-Qaida was the source. Gorenflo came over with about 10 minutes left in class, so as soon as class got over I looked for Brett Gates. When I found Brett, he described what had happened and my biggest fears turned to reality. The first thing I thought was, "Oh my God! First Chad dies and now we are going through this." I really though it was the end of the world or something. It was a period of time that I will ever experience again, no matter what events take place. The grief was, and still is, unprecedented.

My next class was History with the infamous Randal Leach. We went to the sacred mod one to watch the television with Mr. Jones. The thing I will always remember is how Shon Tramontana and I were the only people watching and paying attention. The whole time I was just sitting there thinking to myself, "Do these kids have any idea what just happened?" When we got back to Leach's room he echoed my thoughts to the class. The rest of the day I just watched the TV, except for Keyboarding because Mrs. Bay is apparently a fucking Nazi. The other thing I always remember is that we had a golf match scheduled at New Winchester against the mighty Golden Knights of Northern Morrow County. Luckily for them, it got cancelled.

After school that night, I honestly think I watched the news coverage for about 7 straight hours. Dan Rather, Tom Brokaw, and the late Peter Jennings did an unbelievable job with their coverage. The American people will always think back to that. I remember the first time the Late Show w/ David Letterman was on after the attacks. It was one of the best shows I have ever seen on TV. His monologue was heart wrenching. Dan Rather was his guest, and I will always remember Rather letting all his emotions come out and cry on the show. It was an amazing scene.

It is amazing to think now---All those events took place 4 years ago. What a short time it has been. But, at the same time, so much has happened. The country still nurses a broken heart and now the United Kingdom is pulling at the heart strings just like Spain did earlier this year. United We Stood, and united we still stand today.

God Bless America.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home