Sunday, September 11

A Classic In Columbus

September 10 lived up to all the hype.

The entire day was an amazing scene. From GameDay to the game, the atmosphere was unprecedented. I waited for yesterday for six years and other than the final score, I was not let down at all. It all started for me in Atlanta's Hartesfield International Aiport on Friday afternoon. My whole flight to Columbus was all Ohio State and Texas fans. It was a very neat thing. I have never been on an airplane when the atmosphere was that of a championship prize fight.

When The Ohio State University Marching Band made it's traditional ramp entrance, a tear ran down my face. It was so loud that you couldn't even hear the, "Ladies and Gentlemen..." The noise was unreal from the band coming out, to the team taking the field, to Texas' first offensive possesion. The fans did their job last night. There is no doubt about that.

To the loss though, it is going to take me a long time to get over this game. I have never been so down in my life. I realize that people are reading this and saying, "Are you serious?! It is just a football game." You are right. It is just a football game. Today's date and Hurricane Katrina put more emphasis on that, but I live and die for Ohio State football. You have to understand that, too. The heartbreak I have right now is unfathomable. My heart and soul were ripped out at Ohio Stadium. It really only compares to young love going up in flames. That is exactly how I feel. Today was Port Columbus International Airport, I sat alone waiting for my plane to board when I just let all my emotions drain out. Never before had I been more emotionally and physically drained as the last couple days. I also gained tons of respect for Texas fans. I have never disliked Texas and have really always rooted for them. After the game last night and talking to them today. (My flight was full of Texas fans because the plane was going to Austin after stopping in Cincinnati.)They were very complimentary and almost sympathetic to Ohio State and their fans. The celebration that went on at Ohio Stadium after the game was a surreal scene. The Texas fans scattered all over the stadium singing "The Eyes of Texas" looked like a scene from a World War II movie. It reminded me of Nazi Germany taking over Paris and saulting Hitler and celebrating in the city's streets.

One word of advice for Ohio State fans though: Do not blame Justin Zwick for this loss. There were so many opportunities for Ohio State to win this game. I think we would have won had Justin not fumbled, but that is not why we lost. The biggest surprise to me was how poor of a job Tressel did last night. Totally caught me off guard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home